Dear PS 15 Families,
Our Fun Times at PS 15: Cluster Club will wrap-up on Monday, June 8th with Field Day! I hope you all had a wonderful week exploring the art show, singing with Mr. Stan, and of course enjoying Carnival Day, a time honored PS 15 tradition! We missed the Ollies, but thanks to our Cluster Team for their hard work in organizing.
Tuesday, June 9th, is a Clerical Day for school staff. There will be activities posted in your child’s virtual classroom, but there will be no video sessions. Students can also consider completing and submitting any incomplete assignments. Virtual Classroom schedules will resume on June 10th. We will be in session until June 26th, which is a half-day. Classroom teachers have prepared engaging end of the year projects for your children, so please do engage!
Cluster sessions will resume their regular schedules on 6/10.
As demonstrations and conversations about race and change sweep our nation, I want to thank our Diversity Committee and our Chairs, Mr. Tyshawn Ortiz and Mr. Royal Isaac, for preparing a letter and resources for our school community found here in Spanish and English . In these historic times I encourage you to utilize these resources as a family. I encourage you to read the Letter from our Chancellor here and also visit the Department of Education’s Resource page Together for Justice.
Please do not hesitate to reach out to us. The school phone is checked daily (718-330-9280), you can reach our Parent Coordinator, Melissa Johnson at 917-669-0508 or firstname.lastname@example.org , or Ms. Cavanagh, our assistant principal, at email@example.com .
Please be well and safe,
● Tuesday June 9th will be an instructional day for all children. Teachers will be engaged in a Clerical Day.
● The playlist for Field Day on June 8th, will be shared Sunday night, June 7th.
● Mark your calendars for upcoming sessions with our PARTner Marquis Studios! Music and Rhythm session w/
Mr. Hector on 6/9 at 2:30, and a Puppetry making session on 6/16 at 2:30. Details and links will be posted to
your child’s virtual classroom! The link for Mr. Hector’s session will be in your child’s virtual classroom by
Monday morning. From Mr. Hector: “Hello everyone we are going to have a great time sharing some musical games, and playing rhythms from around the world! If you can, find a bucket or something similar you can use as a drum! Find a pair of pencils or something similar you can use as drum sticks! You can find other objects, like a coffee can and rice, to shake! See you on Tuesday at 2:30.”
● PS 15 has begun the registration process for incoming Prek and Kindergarten students!. We are also able to
process inquiries for First through Fifth grade seats for the 2020-2021 school year. Registration inquiries and assistance needs can be directed to Ms. Johnson and Ms. Cavanagh.
● Chancellor Carranza’s updates and messages to families, including information regarding the grading policy
during distance learning, summer learning, and Pediatric Multi-System Inflammatory Syndrome, or PMIS, can be found here: https://www.schools.nyc.gov/learn-at-home/chancellor-s-message-for-families
● Graduation and moving up ceremonies for our fifth graders as well as our Kindergarten and Prek Students will take place June 22nd, June 24th and June 25th.
More information to come!
A complete list of upcoming dates can be found on our website!
● Red Hook Youth is Planning a Black Lives Matter Demonstration on Sunday, June 7th at 4:00 PM at the Miccio.
Technology and Distance Learning Support!
Zoom Troubles? Some folks have had difficulty re-joining Zoom. A few tips: students must confirm the switch in their DOE email. Go to gmail.com and log in with your child’s @nycstudents account to access your child’s email.
When using a smartphone or ipad, the SSO option is the option to select when prompted the first time logging into Zoom on the new platform. For more support, the Department of Education maintains an infohub for parents with support links, videos, etc: https://www.schools.nyc.gov/learn-at-home/technical-tools-and-support
Please use this sheet to request assistance with technology, a PS 15 volunteer will reach out to you directly:
Resources for Families
- The PS 15 Family Assistance Form is available to request technology assistance. This form is now also the form to use to request assistance for food and supplies. Until June 26th, the PTA will process requests for gift card support for families who need assistance. Please fill out the form if you need assistance. If you need help filling out the form, you can contact Ms. Johnson.
Regular updates, information and resources can all be found on our website: http://www.ps15k.org/
-NYC Full Site for all supports and announcements: https://access.nyc.gov/coronavirus-covid-19-updates/
-Red Hook Hub: http://redhookhub.org/ (There are many organizations supporting Red Hook Families including food
distribution, all can be found on the Hub!)